portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Sunday, February 11, 2018



ANGEL OLSEN


I love it when this happens and Big O post something from a singer or writer I have never heard of.  Check this action!
Angel Olsen is not merely a throwback singer, though her songs - humid, reverberating, deep - often feel like they should be piping out of a dented jukebox in a David Lynch film. Her record, “Burn Your Fire for No Witness,” from 2014, was a collection of wounded, mystical folk tunes; her articulation of loneliness was so visceral and creepy that I occasionally felt like it was following me around the house. Olsen has a knack for distilling a squall of hurt feelings into a single, punching couplet: “I don’t know anything! But I love you!” she sang, on “Forgiven/Forgotten.” She has since abandoned some of that searching in favor of self-possession and, every once in a while, wonder. - newyorker.com



Sharing artists we haven’t all necessarily heard of is why I check so many different music blogs and this is no exception, dark and deeply fascinating and maybe a bit of a grower. I get the David Lynch soundtrack vibe and dig that Americana Gothic thing going on. Not sure it will set any barns alight but heck I will defend her right to sing such songs with my dying breath. Restores my faith in music and the young folks . . . . . .

No comments: