portrait of this blog's author - by Stephen Blackman 2008

Thursday, February 22, 2018

Amongst the best concerts I ever attended largely thanks to my guitar obsessed brother Steve Swapp, I would list seeing Segovia at the Sheldonian Theatre here in Oxford  in 1974
One man elderly even then, (81 I think ) sat on a chair, a guitar and a foot stool . . . . . . . . .masterful! Transcending and never forgotten . . . . . amongst other things he played some of the great classical guitar composer Villa-Lobos which (whom?) has haunted me ever since . . . . aaah maestro!



Born on this day: February 21, 1893 - Classical guitarist virtuoso Andrés Segovia (born Andrés Segovia Torres, 1st Marquis of Salobreña in Linares, Jaén, Andalucia, Spain). Born 125 years ago today (passed on June 2, 1987 at the age of 94). Happy Birthday to this legendary master of the guitar and one of the greatest musicians of the 20th century.

No comments: